In ten days’ time, the AFL-CIO’s bigwigs (the neo-union bosses of today) will be swarming Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to attend what will be billed as their most important convention in a generation.
As with any union convention there will be the usualy demonization of “corporate greed,” “union-busting,” and need for “leveling the playing field.” There will be much cheers when talking about the working class and more jeers when it comes to anything other than the working class. The rhetoric will be laced with Marxist appeals, without specifically calling it Marxist.
Much fanfare will be heaped on outgoing AFL-CIO boss John Sweeney (and DSA member) and incoming boss Richard Trumka. The neo-union bosses, posing as champions of the underclass, will be crowing about their new-found takeover of the Washington official appartchik.
There will likely be some astro-turfing rally or other event for union leaders to go out and hold a press conference in front of.
There will be much fiery rhetoric from all micro-phonies, but none more so than from Trumka.
So, to give you an advance sneak peek inside the halls and to break it all down for you, here’s what you will (and, more importantly, will not) see in the news:
What you WILL hear about the AFL-CIO’s new leader:
- Richard Trumka will be confirmed as the new president of the AFL-CIO. The AFL-CIO’s PR hacks will claim he was “elected.”
What you will NOT hear:
- Trumka is running unopposed and lobbied hard to garner endorsements from union bosses who were not so enamored with him.
What you WILL hear about outgoing AFL-CIO boss John Sweeney:
- Accolade upon accolade heaped upon outgoing AFL-CIO boss John Sweeney
What you will NOT hear:
- Under John Sweeney’s reign, due to infighting, the AFL-CIO lost approximately 40% of its membership due to a nasty break-up in 2005;
- Under John Sweeney’s reign, unions have continued an overall decline as a percentage of the workforce due to unionized companies closing and outsourcing unionized jobs;
- Under John Sweeney’s reign, the AFL-CIO has moved toward a total embrace of the tenets of socialism.
What you WILL hear from the AFL-CIO’s Organizer-in-Chief:
- President Barack Obama (scheduled to speak on September 15th) will be speaking to convention delegates on Sept 15th and will:
- Reconfirm his commitment and devotion to unions
- Reconfirm the “principle” of the delusionally-dubbed Employee Free Choice Act and will state that he will sign it if it reaches his desk
- Challenge delegates not to give up fighting for Universal Health Coverage (aka socialized medicine)
- Pledge to help advance the cause of “social justice” through immigration reform (amnesty)
- Heap more blame on the Bush Administration, the GOP, and “Wall Street” for all that has befallen America in the last thirty years
What you will NOT hear from the Organizer-in-Chief:
- Unions have spent an estimated $1.4 billion of their members’ money in 2006 and 2008 to become the de facto Labor Party in the United States
- Obama’s poll numbers are tanking due to Americans getting over the Obama hype and realizing that America is facing a $9 TRILLION debt
- The $787 billion (so-called) “stimulus package” has not saved or created jobs and, in fact, may have made it worse
- That terrorists are now being treated like common criminals
- Amnesty (“immigration reform”) will ensure another 11 million + voters for Democrats
- The Employee Free Choice Act is a bad bill that will destroy jobs, BUT it will ensure Democrat majorities for the next 40 years
The above is just a synopsis of what you will hear and not hear coming out of the AFL-CIO’s convention, but stay tuned.
We’ll be updating you as the convention commences. Be sure to stay tuned to LaborUnionReport.com for the latest.
“I bring reason to your ears, and, in language as plain as ABC, hold up truth to your eyes.” Thomas Paine, December 23, 1776