Just when you thought it was safe to wade back to work, the pushers of the hallucinogenically-named Employee Free Choice Act are out with an ad (see below) just in time for Labor Day weekend.
American Rights at Work, a labor coalition, announced today that it will launch a national cable television ad campaign that try to make the case for the Employee Free Choice Act, which would allow unions to bypass secret elections that they claim give a chance for employers to intimidate workers.
Just to clarify for new readers what the oxymoronically-dubbed bill is, EFCA:
- Causes the removal of the secret-ballot on union elections if more than 50% of workers sign union “authorizations” causing workers to become unionized based merely on their signatures
- Mandates a government-imposed contract if a company and union cannot reach an agreement within 120 days of negotiations.
- Imposes punitive fines on only employers (not unions) who violate the law.
For more anout EFCA, go here
In enacted, the practical effects of EFCA will be:
- Immediate gains in union membership, swelling union coffers immensely
- Chilling effect on employer speech
- Closure of small companies under the burden of unionization, resulting in layoffs of workers (view article on EFCA’s killing of American jobs here).
- Capital flight in the form of more outsourcing of jobs, as larger companies take flight from the onerous burdens of unionization.
- More automation in those industries that cannot be outsourced resulting in fewer jobs
- Following the expiration of government-imposed two-year contracts, for those companies that can survive, there is likely to be a sharp increase in labor strife (i.e., union strikes and employer lockouts).
- Potential for one-party rule in state and national politics, as unions will be able to moblize millions of dollars and tens of thousands of members to polls
Here is the ad being launched this weekend.
For more information go to 1-888-NO-UNION.COM.