You might ask: What is Labor Shorts?
Well, picture New York Times’ labor columnist Steven Greenfield hooking up with Paris Hilton after she’s done about two grams of blow:
Labor Shorts is a fast and easy way to keep you up to date and interested in a freak-show-kind-of-way on the latest union news.
- Accused nepotist and Colorado union boss Ernie Duran was ousted by UFCW members this week
- Biting the Hand that Feeds You. Pro-union security guards employed by a sub-contractor rallied this morning in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art to greet the museum’s new president on his first day. Hmmm. Now that’s client relations!
- Flunk them. UAW-represented teaching and research assistants, tutors and graders in the University of California have opted to strike this week. [Yeah. It’s that UAW.]
- Sour Notes in Sarasota. The American Federation of Musicians has filed ULPs against Sarasota Orchestra Inc. for its imposition of its final contract offer. Horn blowers and other musicians are objecting to wage and pension cuts.
- Ted’s Dead, But Dems Plod On. Following a hypocritical about-face maneuver in Massachusetts, Democratic Governor Devil [sic] Patrick is ready to announce Ted Kennedy’s replacement…
- …But Byrd’s Down Again. Democrats’ agenda hit another snag on Wednesday when the former KKK Exalted Cyclops and Senator Robert Byrd took a spill in his Maclean, VA home.
- NLRB Disses Dealers in Atlantic City. The union-controlled NLRB dismissed a decertification petition filed by dealers at AC’s Trump Plaza.
- Nutty ACORN Hits Back. Filing suit against America’s most famous ‘pimp and ‘prostitute,’ lobbying congressional leaders, and going on a PR tour are part of ACORN’s counterattack.
- Bad Call? The NBA locked out referees last week.
- AFL–CIO’s New Boss Shows His Rainbow Colors. Gay Today reports the Trumka is fully behind the LGBT movement. […and that matters how?]
- Don’t Call them Communists. The AFL–CIO called for the end of the U.S. economic blockade against Cuba and the lifting of all travel restrictions to the island.
- Steelworkers Push For Trade War. Following their persuasion of Barack Obama to impose tarriffs on Chinese-made tires, the United Steelworkers filed another complaint on Chinese and Indian coated paper.
And that, dear readers, is LaborUnionReport’s Labor Shorts.
For more union-related news stories, join LaborUnionReport’s group on Linkedin.
Follow LaborUnionReport on Twitter.
To join the other 1,500 decision makers and influential subscribers, get our exclusive newsletter by going here.